Saturday, September 14, 2019

Memories in black and white

I was born and raised in Seoul, South Korea.
Most of my memories of childhood are in black and white.
Even the Street Signs were in black and white, black and white photography, buildings, people dressed shabby, a bare mountain, black and white newspapers for street food packing and so on...
1960s and 1970s South Korea was developing nation. Korean didn't have fancy colorful life like Korean has today.
Until 1980 Korean government didn't allow the nation to sell color TV sets nor color TV broadcasting, even though Korea already had assembly line for color TV and was able to broadcasting in color.

My family and I were watching shows and films in black and white like other Koreans.

Especially in weekend My family and I were watching black and white western movies.
Watching TV was like having family time together after having a long day.
My family and I learned western culture and their ideas of beauty through bw films

As a child, I created and shaped ideas of beauty in black and white.


In these two paintings I overlap those memories in black and white and ongoing my life






Classic beauty blended in floral wallpaper # 2, 2019
Acrylic on canvas
9 x 12 inches

                                                                        



Classic beauty blended in floral wallpaper # 3, 2019
Acrylic on wood
10 x 10 inches


 Classic beauty blended in floral wallpaper #5, 2019
Acrylic on panel
10 x 10 inches



Classic beauty blended in floral wallpaper, 2019
Acrylic on canvas
16 x 20 inches



Classic beauty blended in fox pattern
Mixed medium on paper
12 x 9 inches


No comments:

Post a Comment